Family-Based Immigration Lawyers, Everett & Bellevue

Our law firm’s immigration practice includes family-based matters. Each family-based immigration client’s situation presents various options; and we analyze and discuss those options with you, the client, so you can select the best course of action for your unique circumstances. You might, for example, chose between additional visa opportunities deriving from employment, political asylum, and more, with each visa type’s advantages and disadvantages to consider.

Within family-based immigration, the most common goal is to bring relatives to live in the United States long term. Those seeking to bring family members to the U.S.A. for long-term stays generally should be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Though there are many immigration channels for those who do not meet these criteria, the alternatives typically involve greater complexity or increased financial costs. The following chart summarizes who citizens and permanent residents can most easily bring to the United States:

1. For U.S. Citizens

Type of Relative for Whom You May PetitionImmigration Benefit
-Children (unmarried and under 21)
-Sons and daughters (married and/or 21 or over)
-Parents (if you are 21 or over)
-Siblings (if you are 21 or over)
Green card (permanent residence)
-A fiance(e) residing outside the United States and children of fiance(e) under 21 Fiance(e) visa (which can lead to a green card)
-Spouse Children of spouse (unmarried and under 21) K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant visa (which can lead to a green card)

2. For Lawful Permanent Residents

Type of Relative for Whom You May Petition:Immigration Benefit:
-Spouse (husband or wife)
-Unmarried Children under 21
-Unmarried son or daughter of any age
Can lead to a Green card (permanent residence), after a visa number becomes available (see Visa Bulletin)

If you are a U.S. citizen, you can typically obtain a visa for your immediate relatives without a significant waiting period. If you are a permanent resident (rather than a U.S. citizen), or you are seeking a visa for extended family, you usually need to wait until a visa number becomes available. The waiting period for visa numbers ranges widely. The U.S. Department of State issues a monthly Visa Bulletin showing the current waiting periods, and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) gives general information on petition Processing Times.

In addition to the visa opportunities described above, we at Genesis offer the following family-based immigration services:

  • Citizenship/Naturalization
  • Adoption Immigration
  • Consular Processing
  • Immigration by Marriage
  • Adjustment of Status
  • Advance Parole
  • Re-Entry Permits
  • Employment Authorization (Work Permits)

Contact us to speak with a knowledgeable and experienced family-based immigration attorney who can help you determine and follow the best immigration strategy for your unique situation. Genesis Law Firm offers high-level legal counsel at more affordable rates, and free Mandarin Chinese interpretation is available upon request.

Scroll to Top